Monday, April 8, 2013

Toasted maple sesame nuts

almonds

If you travel with me, you know that my purse or carry-on is probably full of food. See there was one time, I had an early morning flight, and I forgot to pack a snack. I picked up a stale, unpalatable, supposedly-almond scone from the only coffee shop open in the airport that early morning. Unfortunately, I found it completely inedible. So, by the time I landed in Chicago, I was famished and very upset.

almonds

I was travelling with my family and we hopped in a cab to get to our hotel. We hit traffic, and I was still starving, so much so I had a complete and total meltdown. It was not pretty. I was experiencing hot and cold flashes, and I thought I was going to pass out. Then, I just started bawling. I was just too hungry and I lost it.

Meanwhile, the cab was stuck on the highway in traffic. There was no food in sight. My dad was trying to tell the cabby to take another root and to get us off the highway, but the cabby argued, all this while I was having a crisis in the back. It was quite the dramatic scene.

almonds

You are probably thinking that I was a child when this happened but no, I was not: I was in my mid-twenties. That day, we all learned an important lesson. If Jan doesn't have a snack on her or access to food, it can get really ugly really fast. Yikes!


Now I always travel with snacks, usually nuts and dried fruits, with a side of homemade cookies, or veggies and dip (if I'm feeling extra healthy). And, I am happy to report that there have been no more "episodes" in the backseat of a cab since.

almonds

I made these toasted maple sesame nuts in preparation for the 1st ever Food Bloggers of Canada conference that I am so very excited to attend (so much so, I packed my snacks almost a week in advance!). The conference is happening this weekend and I cannot wait for all the fun and learning, and the opportunity to meet other Canadian food bloggers and a few of the companies that support/sponsor us. My snacks are ready. Let's go!


Toasted maple sesame nuts

Published: April 8th, 2013, Cook time: 25–30 minutes
snacks    Makes 3 generous cups
  • 1 large egg white
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 3/4 tsp grey sea salt
  • 3 cups mixed nuts (I used 217 grams almonds and 180 grams pecans)
  • 3 tbsp sesame seeds
  • 3 tbsp millet seeds

  1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet by lining it with parchment and set aside for later.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg white til it is frothy, then add the maple syrup, cayenne, pepper, and salt.
  3. Toss in the nuts and seeds, and stir with a wooden spoon til everything is evenly mixed and coated (this takes a few minutes to really get everything evenly coated).
  4. Pour the syrupy nut mixture onto the prepared pan and toast them for 25 to 30 minutes (stirring if needed every 10 minutes or so).
  5. Let cool completely before packing into jars.
Adapted from California Walnuts and  La Tartine Gourmande.

3 comments:

  1. Please make sure you bring extras ;) Seriously, I am the same way, cannot be without a snack or at least know when and where I can get one. When I am hungry, I am HUNGRY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. The taxi scenario is pretty funny. Good idea to keep snacks!

    ReplyDelete