Monday, September 10, 2012

Spiced buttermilk pancakes with apple maple syrup


pancakes


After years and years of my dentist hinting at the fact that I really had to get a couple of my wisdom teeth pulled, the day finally came when I actually had to listen and agree. To be fair, it wasn't the procedure I was worried about, but more that I wasn't ready to lose a tooth. What if I need it later? My body decided to grow these teeth, maybe they're important! Plus, pulling a tooth at my age is very final. There's no backup tooth that's going to grow in at this stage of the game. Pull it, and it's gone!


apple maple syrup

I completely avoided the discussion for years, quite successfully, until one morning I woke up with the mother of all infections. It was a doozy. I quickly faced the fact that I had to part ways with one of my wisdom teeth. Sad, but true.




buttermilk pancakes


Following the procedure, my diet of blended soups, soy beverages, and apple sauce quickly became less than exciting. So, on day 4 (post-extraction), I graduated to pancakes! Okay, fine, my dentist seriously WOULD NOT APPROVE of the syrup that I made to go with the pancakes, but hey! A girl's gotta eat! And there are chunks of fruit floating around in it. It's all good. Just brush your teeth after, people.


spiced buttermilk pancakes


I took a standard buttermilk pancake recipe and spiced it up for fall with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of cloves. Then, I cooked/caramelized diced apples with sugar, and I deglazed with maple syrup. The apples candy in the syrup and become translucent and soft. This syrup is ridiculously good. It's sweet, a little tangy from the tart apples. It's the perfect accompaniment to pancakes in the fall.

Spiced buttermilk pancakes with apple maple syrup

    Makes about 1 dozen pancakes
  • 175 grans (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ginger
  • 1 pinch cloves
  • 2 tbsp (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for frying the pancakes
  • 200 mL buttermilk
  • 100 mL milk (I used skim)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 large eggs, separated

  • 2 apples (I used Cortlands)
  • 150 grams (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
  • 200 mL maple syrup, plus more for serving

  1. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and spices in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, milk, vanilla, and the egg yolks. Pour the wet mixture over the whisked dry mixture, and stir with the whisk to combine. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter, quickly, and set the batter aside while you prepare the fry pan.
  4. Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat til it's good and hot. Add a dollop of butter, and let it melt, swishing it around with a spatula. Dollop half-ladles (or so) of the pancake batter onto the preheated pan, and cook the pancakes, flipping when the bottom-side is golden brown and the top batter is bubbly.
  5. When all the pancakes are fried, you can keep them hot in a warmed oven while you make the syrup.
  6. To make the syrup: Toss the diced apples with the sugar in a bowl. Wipe down the frying pan and add the sugar coated apples to it on medium heat, stirring. The sugar will melt while the apple cooks and releases its juice. Continue cooking til the sugar has caramelized, then remove the pan from the heat and deglaze with the maple syrup. Return the pan to the heat, and simmer for a few minutes to thicken (about 3 minutes on medium heat). If you had any lumps of sugar crystals form at the beginning, they should dissolve at this stage.
  7. Serve the pancakes drizzled with apple maple syrup, and more maple syrup if you dare. A dollop of crème fraiche or yogurt is really nice too!

7 comments:

  1. Oh I would love them for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had to deal with a tooth infection. I've had one myself and they are no fun. I was definitely glad when it was over. These pancakes look like the perfect way to celebrate the end of that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. please stop talking about dentist, early next month I have to go and have my braces put on :((
    But I should probably have a stack of these buttermilk the morning I head to the orthodontics office

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    How do you measure 200ML of buttermilk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, you've got two options: a measuring cup or you can weigh out 200 grams, which is 7oz on a scale! Hope that helps and let me know how your pancakes work out :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Janice

    ML and GRAMS are considered the same thing on a scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, it's true that some scales do have a "mL" button on them, but I don't recommend using it. The button assumes that everything you will weigh has the same density, but this is not the case.

      Delete