Friday, August 12, 2011

Peanut butter and chocolate cups

peanut butter cups
 
Baking makes me happy. When sad things happen, I bake. My friends know this all too well. Even when sadness hits me so hard that I feel no hunger for food, I still bake. It's what I do to cope, for distraction, in search of a happy moment, or a good feeling. I bake.

peanut butter cups


Jennifer Perillo suffered a tragedy that I, at this stage of my life, cannot understand. However, I can bake for her and her family, and for Mikey, from far. It's the least I can do, and it's what she has asked us all to do.

peanut butter cups


I made something sweet, inspired by Jennifer Perillo's peanut butter and chocolate pie recipe, and as I write this, I think of her and her family. The road ahead will not be easy, but I hope that someday soon, she and her family will again be able to enjoy those peanut-butter-pie-filled moments of life, so precious.

peanut butter cups

I transformed Jennifer's pie recipe (with the help of Jennifer Schall's adaptation) into an easy peanut butter treat that can be whipped together in a matter of minutes. These peanut butter and chocolate cups are airy and sweet, chocolaty and loaded with peanut butter flavor, definitely a little source of comfort.

Peanut butter and chocolate cups



peanut butter cups
Makes 4 glasses


  • 3 oz chocolate wafers
  • 2 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup organic peanut butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • Dash vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 3 tbsp chopped peanuts


  1. Pulse the chocolate wafers into fairly fine crumbs in the food processor. Place about 2 tbsp of the wafer crumbs at the bottom of each glass, saving some for the topping.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the peanut butter, sweetened condensed milk, and the vanilla. Set this aside while you whip the cream.
  3. Add half the whipped cream to the peanut butter mixture, and mix this together to lighten the peanut butter mixture. Then add the other half of the whipped cream, folding it in gently to combine.
  4. Divide the peanut butter filling among the four glasses. Top with a sprinkling of chocolate wafer crumbs and chopped peanuts.

12 comments:

  1. It is truly a tragedy. I have lost my father and brother but I cannot imagine losing my husband like this. Baking and eating together certainly helps some how. Lovely little cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post....it's been a privilege to witness the love and support from the food blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing it is to be a part of such a lovely community of food bloggers. I hope that Jennie and her girls feel the love from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Janice - so sweet. Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet tribute, truly shows how strong his community is and your post is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great contribution! So proud to be part of this amazing community!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tribute to the Perillo family. My heart hurts for what Jennie and the girls will be going through over the next months and years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious twist on the peanut butter pie, and such a lovely post and tribute. I am like you. I usually 'work things out' in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks wonderful lovely tribute

    ReplyDelete
  10. i found myself speechless when I heard the news. I can only imagine what she and their beloved girls are going through.
    Love your twist on the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It very touching to see everyone's outpouring of support.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a gem...what a lovely and delicious tribute.

    ReplyDelete