Friday, April 29, 2011

Chocolate cloud cake for a royal wedding

It's not very often that one gets to witness a royal wedding in one's lifetime. In fact, it's very rare. It's one of those events that you can't help but tune into just to see it all unfold. I must admit that I have mixed feelings about this royal wedding because, at some point in my life, I considered Prince William to be a prime "husband candidate" for me (I know I'm not the only one who had a crush on the lad at one time or another!). I even considered wooing him with letters (could've, would've, should've, but didn't). Then again, how far could my letter-writing skills have taken me in the quest to marry a prince? I guess I'll never know.





Of course, as exciting an event as it is, I will be mourning the loss of yet another "potential" husband, with Nigella's chocolate cloud cake. This seems absolutely appropriate wedding eats, and perfect breakfast food to me. Just prepare it the night before the wedding; let the cake cool while you sleep. Then wake up to the television broadcast of the royal wedding and decadent, sinful chocolate cake. If the royal wedding is not reason enough to get out of bed so early, this chocolate cake definitely is.


This cake reminds me of how incompatible I and the royal family would be: though I do love a good slice of fruitcake once and awhile, my wedding cake (if I ever get to have one) will absolutely not be fruitcake under any circumstances, no matter how good their fruitcake recipe is and even if the Queen mum herself says it must be so. My wedding cake will be chocolate, or vanilla, maybe a framboisier. It will be anything but the traditional fruitcake. Who knows, I might even opt out of the traditional, fancy-schmancy tiered wedding cake and instead, the groom and I will cut into a pan of brownies!



Nigella's chocolate cloud cake is perfection with one of the simplest recipes and requiring just a few ingredients (chocolate, eggs, sugar, and a little butter). What I love about this chocolate cake is the craggy top that hides a fudgy, deeply chocolaty interior. The top crust is my favorite part, reminiscent of the cracking brownie tops that I am constantly seeking when I cut into a pan of brownies. I just love cracking through the top with a knife. This is why, I omitted the "cloud" element of the recipe. This is the ultimate in chocolate cakes, after all, chocolate is the first, if not the main ingredient, besides the eggs. I spiked the cake with some spiced rum, omitting the Cointreau and orange zest that was called for in the original recipe. My goal was an over-the-top chocolate affair with nothing standing in the way. The rum flavor lingers, even after baking, adding to the decadent flavor of this cake. This is a great cake if you are seeking to celebrate (or binge your way through yet another wedding).

Here's to the royal couple and their wedding. When I'm done with this cake, I really need to work on transforming a frog into a prince.....


I wrote this post as part of the Forever Nigella blogging event (which happens every month if you'd like to participate in the Nigella-ness) from the blog Maison Cupcake. Mardi of eat. live. travel. write was kind enough to host this month's "royal street party." Check out her post in honor of the royal wedding!

You can find the recipe for this chocolate cake in Nigella Lawson's Nigella Bites. It is also available on Nigella's site (in metric measurements), and here (in Imperial measures). I cannot post the recipe here because it's not mine to share. I do recommend that you invest in Nigella's books, if you have the chance. They are a great read.

14 comments:

  1. Binging my way through weddings sounds like an excellent plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so rich and delish! Perfect for a royal wedding ... or a random Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect cake to munch on while watching the royal wedding! It looks so rich and moist~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks absolutely stunning, and "cloud" is a perfect way to describe it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My roommate was convinced she was destined to marry Prince CHarles... and so it goes. This gorgeous cake is wedding-worthy, royal-worthy and you get to partake without becoming a royal with all the nuisance it implies! Best way to have your cake and eat it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Kate knows how to bake. Something tells me that wasn't what won him over. It's his loss. Who would choose fruitcake over this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely cake for catching a husband. I also love the idea of cutting into a pan of brownies, instead of a tiered cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice for the wedding celebration - this is one of my favorite Nigella desserts. Did you know that William chose a chocolate refrigerator cake for the groom's cake at the evening reception? Made for him with Rich Tea biscuits by McVitie's. Definitely a better choice than fruit cake.

    I couldn't find any way on your site to contact you as we want to link from Eat Your Books to your cookbook recipe reviews on your blog. Could you contact me info@eatyourbooks.com?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nigella Bites is one of the books I don't have so thanks for the links to chocolate cloud cake. The crispy top and moist interior sounds perfect. -

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm this cake looks soo delicious and gorgeous pictures as well! So glad to be your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake looks amazing! And really, Nigella...can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you to everyone for all the sweet comments! They make my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Evan Thomas I guess that she doesn't exactly look like a baker... haha ;)

    ReplyDelete